- 5 Days, 4 Nights
- Well-maintained roads and some hard-packed dirt roads in Northern New Mexico
- This tour is appropriate for intermediate and advanced riders
- Includes luggage and gear transport, SAG support and dinner night one at the Circle A Ranch
- Trip starts and ends in Santa Fe, NM
- Group size limited to (12) per trip
- Cost: $525
TOUR DESCRIPTION (Passage Map)
New Mexico – the Land of Enchantment. The diversity of this majestic state is really quite amazing: deserts, mountains, gorges, rivers, cliffs and a deep, rich Southwest culture. We can barely imagine a better place for a road bike tour.
Starting and ending in Santa Fe, this road bike tour leads you through Los Alamos and the Jemez Mountains to an authentic ranch overnight, mirror the Rio Chama to the historic town of Chama, climb high up through the aspens of Carson National Forest and then down to the vibrant, artistic town of Taos. We’ll spend 2 nights in Taos to enjoy all that it has to offer including a day ride from Taos up the Red River Canyon and Cimarron Canyon. Finally we’ll tackle the Sangre de Cristo Mountains on our way to our finish near Las Vegas, NM.
Receive Full Itinerary
We’ll meet at 7am in Santa Fe and shuttle you out of town to our official start near the town of Los Alamos. Today we climb up into the beautiful Jemez Mountains in Santa Fe National Forest. After the initial climb the road winds gently along the crest with long views of the various Native American reservation lands to the south.
Day two rolls away from the Cuba area through rural ranching spreads and distant mountains. Soon the road gets more and more remote and you see less and less signs of civilization. You’re in a remote part of Santa Fe National Forest now and don’t be surprised if you catch a real cattle drive along the road.
Day three starts with a short shuttle to the small town of Tierra Amarilla so you don’t repeat some of the previous day’s mileage. Today’s ride heads to Taos, but first there’s the matter of getting up and over the beautiful mountains in Carson National Forest! The ride starts with a long, gentle climb into the pine and aspens of what we generally refer to as the Cruces Mountains.
Day Four we stay in the artistic community of Taos, NM where you’ll have (3) activities to choose from: a 65-mile ride via Red River Canyon and Cimarron Canyon to Ute Park, a 43-mile ride to the same Ute Pak but obviously shorter and under the Fernando Mountains, or finally…a rest day to explore Taos.
Day Five is our day to cross over the heart of the Sangre de Cristo Range and over to Las Vegas, NM. As you begin the initial climb over the range, Cerro del Oso mountain stands above the rest at 11,255’ to your left. You’re not nearly at that elevation, but it makes for a spectacular shoulder view for much of the morning.
What’s Included in My Trip?
- Shuttle to start from Santa Fe and shuttle back to Santa Fe at the end of the trip.
- Gear/luggae relocation each day
- Daily route beta including a day by day road guide
- Alcoholic Beverages – we can haul and keep them cold though!
- Food shopping – you must plan and shop for your own menu
- Lodging and transportation before and after the trip
- Weather Control – Mother Nature has a mind of her own
- Bikes – we can rent you a full-suspension bike for the week
- Guides – we can arrange a day guide for you each day
This trip begins and ends in Santa Fe, NM. Santa Fe has numerous flights each day. The closest “major” airport is Albuquerque 3.5 hours away.